- registry re‧gis‧try [ˈredʒstri] noun registries PLURALFORM [countable]a place where official records are kept and can be examined by members of the public:
• the Trade Marks Registryˈcompanies ˌregistry [countable usually plural]LAW in Britain and some other countries, an official list of companies, with the names of their directors, records of their accounts etc:
• According to the companies registry, the firm did not exist.ˈland ˌregistry [singular]LAW PROPERTY in Britain and many other countries, a central organization that keeps records of who owns land in different places:
• She will apply to the land registry for a copy of the title deeds of the property.
* * *registry UK US /ˈredʒɪstri/ noun [C] (plural registries)► an official record of people or things relating to a business or other activity: »
The centre manages an online registry of share ownership.on/in the registry »
Sixty companies have been listed on the registry since it opened.»
There was no reliable public property registry.► an organization or place that keeps official records: »
You can get the dates from the central registry in the town hall.»
The registry has now published the statewide cancer data.► IT on some computer systems, the place on the computer where information is recorded about software settings on the computer: »
In order for your computer to know how to run properly, the registry sets up instructions for it to follow.»
A slow computer is often the result of registry errors.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Registry — may refer to:In animal breeding: * Breed registry, a record of the ancestry and ownership of purebred animalsIn computing: * Windows Registry, a database of configuration settings in Microsoft Windows operating systems * Domain name registry, an… … Wikipedia
Registry — (Registrierung, Registrierdatenbank], eine zentrale hierarchisch aufgebaute Datenbank bei Windows 95, Windows NT und den Folgeversionen, in der die Systemkonfiguration gespeichert ist. Sie enthält Informationen, die vom Betriebssystem während… … Universal-Lexikon
registry — reg·is·try / re jə strē/ n pl tries 1: registration an instrument filed for registry in the conveyance records Louisiana Civil Code 2: the nationality of a ship according to its entry in a register … Law dictionary
Registry — (engl. für „Register“) steht für: Domain Name Registry, eine Organisation, die Internet Domains verwaltet Eine allgemeine Bezeichnung für eine Datenbank oder andere Speicherform in der Computertechnik, die Registrierungszwecken dient, wobei diese … Deutsch Wikipedia
Registry — Reg is*try (r?j ?s*tr?), n. 1. The act of recording or writing in a register; enrollment; registration. [1913 Webster] 2. The place where a register is kept. [1913 Webster] 3. A record; an account; a register. Sir W. Temple. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
registry — (n.) 1580s, act of registering; see REGISTER (Cf. register) + Y (Cf. y) (1). Meaning book of record is from 1620s … Etymology dictionary
registry — ► NOUN (pl. registries) 1) a place where registers are kept. 2) registration … English terms dictionary
registry — [rej′is trē] n. pl. registries 1. REGISTRATION 2. an office where registers are kept 3. an official record or list; register 4. a certificate showing the nationality of a merchant ship as recorded in an official register … English World dictionary
registry — noun ADJECTIVE ▪ central ▪ a central registry for all applicants ▪ district (BrE), national, regional ▪ land (BrE) … Collocations dictionary
Registry — Although a registry was originally the place (like Registry House in Edinburgh) where information was collected (in registers), the word registry has also come to mean the collection itself. A registry is usually organized so the data can be… … Medical dictionary